Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 07, 2010

My (misguided) Oscar picks

I came in last place in our Oscar pool. I'm always a bad guesser, but I took it to new heights (or rather depths) this year.

MOTION PICTURE
Avatar (I decided at the very last minute, partly because of the email "scandal" over producer Nicholas Chartier's email which included a mild dig at Avatar - I thought late voters might have been influenced; even if I had been right in this category, I still would be have been in last place)

DIRECTOR
Kathryn Bigelow

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Sandra Bulllock

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Jeff Bridges

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mo'Nique

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Christopher Waltz

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Jason Reitman/ Sheldon Turner (Like many, I thought this was Up in the Air's consolation prize - Precious was a complete surprise)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Inglorious Basterds (I thought this would be Tarantino's consolation prize)

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Food, Inc (I figured it was the best known)

ANIMATED FEATURE
Up

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The White Ribbon (by far the most talked about film in this category)

ART DIRECTION
Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus (I just figured Avatar wouldn't get this prize because of all the computerized aspects of the movie - I thought the Academy was more traditional; I took a wild guess on this)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Harry Potter (ditto)

ORIGINAL SCORE
James Horner (I thought this would be one of Avatar's consolation prizes, plus Horner is a fave)

ORIGINAL SONG
The Weary Kind

COSTUMES
Coco Before Chanel (I thought the traditional costume drama would not win - I should have paid attention to the designer not the movie)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home