Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Another Obama supporter

I got this terrific email from my friend Mike (who I have fussed about before), explaining why he has "returned from the dark side:"

I am now adamantly pro-Obama after starting out in January as pro-Obama then going anti-Obama/pro-Hillary, then pro-McCain, and now after seeing Darth McCain with his mask off, I find myself back where I belong, for a number of reasons:

1. Yes, I am still concerned about Reverent Wright and the ex-criminal who is one of Obama's advisors- spiritual leaders and friends help make many of us who we are. That said, if G-d were running for president, the media would find a way to nitpick Him to death. In looking at the present and the future, these issues pale in comparison to what makes Obama a man to admire, not to mention that McCain has similar pimples on his personal and political buttocks that are far worse than what worries me about Obama.

2. As I told Anne and Maddie, everyone has certain fundamental beliefs, developed over time, that define who they are. I believe that women should have the right to choose how they deal with unwanted pregancies. I want abortion safe, legal and rare, and I want it available to all women regardless of their socioeconomic status. I also believe that gay relationships are just as valid as heterosexual relationships and that gays should be allowed to marry. Two men or women getting married does nothing to negatively affect my marriage of 16 years (as of 9/6) and, in fact, seems to me to strengthen society as studies have shown that people live longer when they are in happy marriages. I also believe that gays make just as good parents as do non-gays and that adoption should be open to all adults who can meet the criteria of being able to offer a loving and stable home to families. I have more beliefs that I'm too tired to type, but suffice it to say that other than my feelings on torture, gun rights and the death penalty, I pretty much toe the liberal Democratic line. As much as I admire McCain as a person, if I vote for a President who is anti-choice, anti-gay rights and who believes the war in Iraq is a good thing, I would be going against everything I believe in, and I can't look my female friends and relatives, or any woman for that matter in the eye, if I vote for someone who is anti-choice, nor can I look my gay friends and relatives in the eye if I vote for anyone who sees them as second class citizens.

3. In thinking of the conventions, I would be way more at home in Denver. The diversity of the crowd was incredible and I believe Obama will bring people who have never voted into the political process. I believe five minutes on the floor of the Republican convention would cause me to become violently ill.

4. When I first saw Obama on tv many months ago, I was inspired. Last week's speech from Denver brought tears to my eyes. This is the candidate I've been waiting to vote for all my life. Yes, I loved Bill and liked Hillary, but I sense something in Obama an ability to create hope and deliver what he promises, to know where he is weak and address it (see Biden- gutsy pick) and to fight back against the negative and unwarrented attacks that he is facing (a Democrat with balls- about as rare as a Jew at a NASCAR event). Most importantly, I sense in Obama a man who will build bridges with the world while inspiring his countrymen that they can once again, after 8 years of Bush, feel proud about our President, the person they voted for to run this country.

5. Finally, any pro-McCain feelings I had were flushed down the proverbial toilet when he picked his VP candidate. Yes she's smart, appears to be a great mother and wife, and seems like a decent person. No, I cannot see her one heartbeat way from the presidency. Plus the religious right loves her. If McCain were to die in office, I predict the immediate result country and world wide would be the words "OH SHIT" uttered in every language in every country around the world.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home