Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Can we please move ON!

Why are we still talking about Reverend Wright? I can't believe that this guy's opinions, no matter how controversial, deserve this amount of attention. This is days and days of conversation about the same ego maniacal dude.

I kinda lost it tonight talking to Larry and watching Newt Gingrich on The Daily Show. That this middle-aged white guy (pretty ego maniacal himself) pretends to care about Reverend Wright is both laughable and annoying. And then Larry starts weighing in - "Did you hear what he said about Louis Farrakhan?" Yes, I heard. And I can't think of anyone less relevant to the current presidential election than Louis Farrakhan. In fact, the only thing I can think of that's less relevant is Jeremiah Wright's opinion of Louis Farrakhan.

This is completely out of hand. I'm convinced that this is almost completely racially-motivated. People like Newt and Joe Scarborough can finally bitch publicly about a black man with total impunity. They just can't help themselves, they have to indulge. It's sickening. This has nothing to do with my ability to get health insurance or find a good job or pay for gas.

The media is completely failing in their obligation to inform the public. Can we PLEASE get off this tripe and get back to a conversation about something that actually matters?

ADDENDUM 4/30/08

I wrote the above before I checked out Hullabaloo, but wouldn't you know it, one of her guest writers said almost the EXACT SAME thing that I was screeching about last night:

Assuming that Obama is the nominee, Republicans will make this a one issue campaign: the color of the next president's skin. Oh, they'll do it mostly with dog whistles, but they'll do it. More overtly, McCain's ad in NC (which, wink wink, he had nothing to do with and actually deplored) was just a trial balloon, a proof of concept. The issue is race, stupid, Wright or not.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home